History was made this week at "Light of Hope Orphanage" -- the first child has been placed in an adoptive home! Ivan is 8 years old, and yesterday, he went to live with his adoptive family! While the adoption process is not completed, the couple was granted legal custody while the paperwork is completed. His new parents are a solid Christian, Mexican couple, and we are very excited for Ivan! (below is a picture of them on the day he left)
Finding adoptive families for the children of the orphanage continues to be our vision for the children of the orphanage, and things continue to move forward. God has recently been opening doors and granting us extraordinary favor with key authorities. Please pray that God would be raising up solid, adoptive families for these children, and that the doors would remain open for legal work to move forward.
* Pray for God's direction and blessing on Suzanne, LaVonne and Anthony as they develop relationships with and minister to the village children and youth.
* Pray for Diana Troyer as she travels to Mexico, begins language studies and makes adjustments.
* Pray for well digging jobs to help cover monthly operating costs and provide work for Martin.
*Pray for LaVonne Lowen as she begins her language and culture month at Martins.
*Pray for Lorens as they plan and lead the Annual Single Staff Retreat the last week of October.
*Pray for more orphan support to cover the monthly operating costs.
*Praise the Lord for providing an extended cab pickup to replace the worn out minivan.
*Pray for much wisdom, grace and strength for the school staff and for the students to apply themselves to learning.
Last school year was characterized by "trial and error" as the teachers looked for new ways to be more effective. A new school building was built, and a new teachers were found.
Mario Cota (a local brother from the church) was a school teacher last year at the orphanage, but has now moved on. He is presently serving as missionary among the Tarahumara natives in the mountainous state of Chihuahua. Alicia Tello, who previously was caregiver, was asked to move into Mario's place, which she agreed to do. Elaine Friesen continues on as teacher like last year, and Johnny Beiler (ex-caregiver) is now school principal.
On Monday (Aug. 19), the new school year began. We had a school dedication which was attended by most of the orphanage, the church pastors, and the Mexican board members. It was a blessed time of sharing and praying for the new program.
When you think of it, we would appreciate your prayers as well for the school program as there is quite a bit of change from last year's set up. Pray for the teachers -- for wisdom from above-- and pray for the students -- that they would recognize the privilege they have of attending school, and that they would cooperate with the teachers.
As indicated in the title, the orphanage also purchased a new (used) truck. The green mini-van was ready to bite the dust, and needed replacement. Thanks to those who donated to make this purchase possible!
* Pray for Anthony Stoltzfus as he begins serving in support of children and youth ministry.
* Pray for continued daily protection and God's blessing on the children and workers.
* Pray for much wisdom, direction, grace and strength as Lenn's’ return from furlough and school starts.
* Pray for work for the men of the church with the classroom building completed and the well driller not operating.
* PTL for the funds to cement an area and purchase some playground equipment for the school.
* Pray for God's protection and blessing on the staff and children especially while Lenn's family are gone on furlough.
* Also pray for Alicia Yoder and Ben Weaver as they begin their caregiver responsibilities.
* Continue to pray for the right Choix Church property at the right price.
* Pray for Lorens, Albinos and Julians as they lead out in evangelism and discipleship ministry in the Villages.
* PTL for the well drilling funds and donations for the School Building Project, school curriculum and greenhouse project.
* Pray for safety and God's blessing on Lenn's furlough travels and John Lapp's as they fill in, Alicia Yoder’s and Ben Weaver’s travel and language studies, and the children as they adjust to all the changes.
The school building continues to move forward. This weekend we are finishing up the interior of one of the two school rooms and on Monday the teachers might move in and start using it! There is still quite a bit to do though: finish the inside of the other school room; finish the storage rooms and bathroom; and finish plastering the outside of the whole building. Then comes painting, and lastly, building the school desks and book shelves. You can pray that everything will be completed and ready to go at the beginning of next school year (3rd week of August).